Travel lens - which option?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
rfielder
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
Re: Travel lens - which option?
In reply to Photorer, 10 months ago

I have the Tamron 18-270mm, and have never regretted the purchase.  Very versitile (sp?), can be very very sharp.

No good for low light, which is why I have a 35mm F1.8 and a 60mm F2 for my A55, but for pretty much of anything else, the Tamron has been a gem.

At the time I purchased it, I also looked at the Sigma 18-250mm.  Went with the Tamron because of Sigma's issue with newer Sony cameras, because of hints of quality control issues with some Sigma lenses (at the time I was buying, not sure now), and because of price.

If I were to buy now, I would look at the 16-105mm Sony lens.  There are more times than expected that 18mm was not quite wide enough.

A LOT of photos have been take at 250+mm, and often I have wished for a bit more, so a 16-105mm paired with something like the 70-400mm G lens would be a better combo - except for two things. One is $$$.  The other is the need to be switching lenses since I will not be carrying two bodies.  You don't get many shots when you are on the go and have no time to stop and switch.

-- hide signature --

Robert Fielder
Brampton, ON, Canada

rfielder's gear list:rfielder's gear list
Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow