Most activity on M4/3s forum

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,101Gear list
Like?
Re: 35mm Film is somehow optimal for digital sensors?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 10 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

brianric wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

A Q then. Why bother lugging around the very large and very heavy 24-70 when you could use say a 24-85 3.5-4.5 or whatever it is which is a fraction of the size/weight? (and probably around half the cost of the 12-40 olympus and probably not THAT far off the same weight either - bet its less than 100g difference, and the nikkor will effectively be faster since the 12-40 is going to be an equivalent 24-80/5.6))

We're not talking DOF, so please explain exposure wise how an Olympus f2.8 lens is an equivalent to a FF 5.6 lens.

It's equivalent in the sense that, for a given generation of sensor technology, pictures taken at the same shutter speed in low light with an M43 f/2.8 lens are just as noisy as those taken with a FF f/5.6 lens using a higher ISO to compensate for the difference in aperture. You can think of it as "noise equivalence".

That's the theory, anyway. In practice the actual gap in performance between M43 and FF seems to be a little less than a full 2 stops.

However that "equivalence" really only applies when you get down into light levels and enlargement ratios in which the noise becomes a factor in the quality of the final image. If you're not shooting in those conditions (or if you don't care about the noise) then it doesn't really matter.

I am a FF user, but the impression I get from some FF is they are terrified my M43 technology. There is no doubt FF has an advantage over M43 in noise, but at base ISO, or say up to ISO 400, do you think that it makes a difference. My clients can't tell the difference between my D700, D3S and D800 in daylight. I sincerely doubt they will see a difference when I shoot with a M-1 in daylight.

When I do outdoor events I'm carrying two cameras, short lens, long lens. A camera doesn't do me any good if it is sitting in the trunk of my car because I'm exhausted. This happened ten days ago for MS Delaware, 11 hours day one, 9 hours day 2. I'm 63 years old, and anytime I can lighten the load without reasonably degrading quality I'll go for it. That's why my f4.0 glass is used versus my f2.8 when shooting with two cameras. Bokeh is good enough on my 70-200/4.0 over my 70-200/2.8.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow