Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
hjulenissen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626
Like?
Re: Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?
In reply to MPA1, Oct 1, 2013

MPA1 wrote:

However a laptop costs $2000 and is a reason to mug you or steal from your baggage. A hard drive is of little interest to most thieves.

A simple "Copy to attached drive" command to dump the card contents to a portable USB drive would be relatively simple and cheap as a solution.

Three 2Tb mil spec drives would be far cheaper and you be fairly unlikely to fill 2Tb with any camera under 20Mp in the sort of time most people travel.

Did I hear "mil spec" and "cheap" in the same sentence?

The cameras having two card slots... can they copy the contents of one card over to the other? In that case, you could bring a 1Tb or so of compact flash cards, and do in-camera backup every evening.

Out of interest: how many images do you typically/worst-case take on a trip before returning to a computer? How many of those are keepers? Is it possible to delete the non-keepers every evening (I like to, as that makes me see what I did wrong while still remembering what I did).

-h

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow