Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,790Gear list
Like?
Re: Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?
In reply to MPA1, Oct 1, 2013

MPA1 wrote:

A professional colleague and I were having a conversation yesterday.

He is off to shoot in Burma in a few weeks and I recently spent 10 weeks shooting in SE Asia.

We were discussing image storage when on the road and what a PITA carrying computers is.

We wondered why, given that a digital camera is basically a computer with a lens on it, it is still not possible to just connect a portable hard drive direct to the camera and download your images to one or more drives when working in the field, enabling you to leave your expensive and cumbersome laptop at home.

Can that be done? I don't believe so, but it seems a fairly obvious thing we ought to be able to do.

There are deviceas out there. I think the main hurdle is that most protable hard drives are sold as hardware, with very little software involvment from the manufacturer. To be able top connect the camera directly to the camera you would need some type of operating system and software that would allow the HDD to recognize the camera. This means that hardware companies producing the HDD's now have to become involved in software or contract with someone who would provide the OS ...complicates things massively on their end.

...didn't read the replies, but there are some direct connect HDD's out there.

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow