Fuji X20 --Wake up Delay/Overexposure Issue -- anyone else noticed this?

Started Oct 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
saturnV
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Fuji X20 --Wake up Delay/Overexposure Issue -- anyone else noticed this?
Oct 1, 2013

I purchased an X20 in July -- brand new and took the camera to the beach over a long weekend. I enjoyed shooting the X20 over 4 intense days but I noticed some peculiar behaviour. During the day, while at the beach -- under incredibly bright conditions the camera on wake up, or just returning to shooting mode from being in the menu -- the camera would slam the aperture wide open and then stop down to an adequate F-stop to expose properly. This process took close to 2 seconds and any shutter firings (if I wasn't locked out) along the way yielded horribly overexposed and useless frames. I was taking candid shots of the kids playing on a sandy shore, waters edge and it was irritating as hell. As the day went to dusk, this was less noticeable -- as it should be because the exposure going toward more light and stopped earlier in the cycle at a wider aperture. I tried resetting the camera to default to reverse any unintentional menu change -- but to no avail.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any suggestions? Does this seem normal? Why wouldn't a camera just hold and jump right back to the last exposure settings and move from there if conditions had changed or unless commanded directly...

It was a deal breaker for me. I called Fuji and they flat stated something was wrong with my unit and to return it for their expert technical evaluation. They suggested an errant signal was triggering the exposure system to behave erratically. As the camera was new, I returned it to the store (purchased online). Several times, I would watch the camera lens from the front and witness the aperture blades dilate fully and then sequentially cycle inward to cease at a smaller stop appropriate for the sunny conditions.

Now over 2 months have passed and the store has said they sent my returned camera to Fuji and apparently-- after Fuji's examination -- state the camera was fine. Argg! Honestly, if this is normal activity, I would have nothing to do with Fuji products then. I'm looking to X20 owners -- to find out if anyone has had this. Darn, as I had my eyes on the XPro1, the XA1, maybe an X100S -- but not if this is typical happenstance.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow