Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
javayoda
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
Informal GX7 DR Thoughts
9 months ago

I managed to take a few images with my new GX7 this evening. The sun was going down so I didn't have a lot of time. Anyway, I loaded the resulting RW2s into LR5. Most of the images look great but there were a few with blown highlights I couldn't recover; places where the bright sky turned gray when I tried to recover in LR (a look I've seen on my GH2). I *feel* like the E-M5 would have recovered that color and cloud detail. It's not often that I lose highlights with the Olympus. Unfortunately, I didn't think to bring it along for comparison shots.

I know with previous Panasonic cameras I often had to drop exposure compensation by 1/3 or more to preserve highlights. What are other GX7 owners thinking? Do you see the same thing?

As for the camera, I love the ergonomics and the video is jaw-dropping. The new 14-42 seems sharp and I know I'll be using the electronic shutter. That said, I'm not sure what to think of the LVF. It's hard to describe. I can adjust the diopter until the text and menus are tack sharp (no visible pixels) but even then I feel I have to "push" my eye toward the screen to get a sharp image across the frame when reviewing or framing. It's early days though and I've only spent a few hours with the camera. We'll see.

-- hide signature --
 javayoda's gear list:javayoda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +14 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow