Most activity on M4/3s forum

Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,593
Like?
Re: 35mm Film is somehow optimal for digital sensors?
In reply to brianric, Sep 30, 2013

brianric wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

My original posts was frankly, a bit of a windup, but with a healthy does of truth in it. My comment quoted above is about ergonomics, and as someone who shoots professionally, where you need to be able to operate the camera quickly, reliably and flexibly in a whole number of situations, then I'm afraid nothing, and I mean NOTHING in MFT comes anywhere NEAR the performance of something like a D3 or 1DS3.

I don't disagree that some might call them 'bloated boat anchors', but as tools that get the job done, they are in a totally different class, and its MFT cameras that 'totally suck', and this is coming from someone who not only shoots those FF cams mentioned, but also shoots GH3 and EM5 along side. I love the small cameras for portability, but dear god are they miles behind the pro cams at the moment in a whole bunch of operational ways.

I suspect anyone who thinks otherwise really hasn't had to use a pro DSLR in anger.

I shoot events, and usually shoot short lens on one (24-70) and long lens on second one (70-200). The 24-70 is shot at f5.6 to 8.0. The FF advantage of two stops on DOF is negated as I can shoot at f2.8 on M43, at a lower ISO than the FF camera.

A Q then. Why bother lugging around the very large and very heavy 24-70 when you could use say a 24-85 3.5-4.5 or whatever it is which is a fraction of the size/weight? (and probably around half the cost of the 12-40 olympus and probably not THAT far off the same weight either - bet its less than 100g difference, and the nikkor will effectively be faster since the 12-40 is going to be an equivalent 24-80/5.6))

I'll let you know how well the Olympus M-1 stacks up under the conditions I just outlined against my FF cameras. I do own a D3S, along with D700, D800, and D800E.

That's ok, I already pre ordered my EM1 a number of months ago. I am sure it will have many redeeming qualities and I'm hoping I'll really like it, however I know for certain its going to suck compared to a big nikon when shot in anger. But it will be smaller.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow