How much resolution do you actually need?

Started 10 months ago | Polls thread
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,468
Like?
Re: How much resolution do you actually need?
In reply to RhysM, 10 months ago

RhysM wrote:

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

AndreaV wrote:

Which is the real amount of Megapixel do you reasonably need for your final image usage (fine art print, web upload,...)?

As I explain below, the more MP your sensor has the better your starting IQ will be. So as far as the camera body is concerned the answer is "as many MP as I can afford".

[Explanation deleted]

Brilliant in theory, but take a 80 megapixel Phase One medium format back and a D600, take the same image with both, colour correct/match then downsize to 1920x1080 and I would happily wager 9/10 professional photographers wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a side by side comparison.

I think you're wrong.  I think pretty well anyone would be happy with the shot from the D600 seen in isolation but the higher-MP shot will be slightly crisper and have slightly better colour fidelity, and I'd expect an experienced photographer to see a difference even if he couldn't quite say why.

This is yet another example of how people on dpreview focus too heavily on theoretical advantages rather than real world application.

Not at all.  People are capable of choosing the level of technology or whatever that suits their personal circumstances - that's why I included "afford" in my first response.  If you want, in your own "real world" to get the best IQ with equipment you already own it's important to know the theoretical bases on which to judge.

There's nothing in what I said that puts weight on either side of the question.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow