Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,826Gear list
Like?
Re: Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?
In reply to MPA1, Sep 30, 2013

MPA1 wrote:

A professional colleague and I were having a conversation yesterday.

He is off to shoot in Burma in a few weeks and I recently spent 10 weeks shooting in SE Asia.

We were discussing image storage when on the road and what a PITA carrying computers is.

We wondered why, given that a digital camera is basically a computer with a lens on it, it is still not possible to just connect a portable hard drive direct to the camera and download your images to one or more drives when working in the field, enabling you to leave your expensive and cumbersome laptop at home.

Can that be done? I don't believe so, but it seems a fairly obvious thing we ought to be able to do.

You'd think at the very least, that if it couldn't be done directly between the camera and the disk drive, it would at least be possible if you had a smartphone in between.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding -- "the Q-gun"
K10D (K-3 soon?), Sig 17-70 "zonker", DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow