Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris Malcolm
Contributing MemberPosts: 773Gear list
Like?
Re: Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?
In reply to MPA1, 11 months ago

I'm in the middle of a 3 week holiday in Sicily. I used up most of my air baggage space & weight with camera, lenses, tripod, etc.. I took 2 x 32GB SD cards which I estimated rightly would be enough, given that when handheld sightseeing snapping I don't use RAW & mostly turn down the MP to 12.

But I wanted web access, GPS mapping & navigation, plus the ability to do at least some minimal image editing and uploading to the web while on holiday. A laptop much too big & heavy. So I took along my Nexus 7 Android tablet with a small Bluetooth keyboard. With the usual OTG USB cable & a USB card reader it can read the camera's memory card, including RAW files. I can display and edit these more easily & better than I expected to be able to, including curves, downsizing, altering jpeg compression ratios. Not as well as I'll be able to do when I get back home to my desktop computer. But more than well enough to supply good images to local friends while out here.

I trust memory cards much more than hard drives from having read research reports on the reliability of the technologies involved.

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow