D800 Sensor remap for dead pixels quick tip

Started Nov 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wuthoqquan
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: D800 Sensor remap for dead pixels quick tip
In reply to primeshooter, 11 months ago

Hi,

it's time to revive this thread and contribute with another positive feedback on this (great) tip!

I've just noticed a few days ago that all my photos taken with the D800E showed a little green pixel (sometimes in the shape of a cross, depending on ISO and F/stop settings), which would be present also at relatively low ISO configurations.

I immediately knew it was an infamous stuck pixel and, although my camera is just a couple of months old, I knew there was little to no reason to really complain about it since all sensor are prone to this kind of defects.

However, I started to browse the internet to retrieve more information on the subject and especially to understand how long it would take Nikon's assistance to perform e remapping of the sensor - should I've ever decided to send the D800E to them for such a service, maybe on the occasion of a technical intervention for more important and urgent revisions needed on the camera.

It's with great surprise that I stumbled into this thread on DPReview and I started to read all the posts in a sort of daydream state! The positive feedbacks were also encouraging... and I simply had to test this tip on my D800E.

Well... I did just a few minutes ago and IT WORKED! That green pixel is literally gone!

Therefore, kudos to the OP for sharing this wonderful tip! It will certainly save most D800 owners a useless trip to Nikon for a service that can be easily and effortlessly performed at home!

Should we fear that now Nikon will ponder about removing this hidden feature with a future FW upgrade, so that people will be forced to necessarily send their cameras to them and pay for the service?

Many thanks again!

Marco

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow