Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,587Gear list
Like?
Foveon is Fabulous For Flowers!!
11 months ago

A month or so ago I asked the question about which camera out of everything available was the best for flower photography. My hunch was that the Foveon sensor should be the best. When the DP3Merrill was available I wanted to try this out. When most people take photos of flowers they usually don't fill the frame with the flower or they cut parts off. I try to get all of the flower in focus and that isn't always easy.

I finally figured out how to focus properly in magnified view. Works well. Have the focus set for manual then click the OK button to magnify the view. A turn on the main dial at the top will change the magnification from 4 to 8 to 12 times, with 8 being default. I find the 4 times handy and then check with higher magnifications once the flower is more or less sharp. Works well but it would be better if the screen tilted up and down. Press the OK again to zoom out or press the shutter button half way in. Tripod used.

The photo here is exceptional to me because it looks like light is coming out of the flower. The intensity and purity of colours is beautiful. The detail is second to none. Clearly, this is now my favourite flower camera with the NEX7 a close second. Focus peaking would help the DP3M be even better re focussing.

This photo put through Sigma PP and is original with Neutral colour setting. Photo was cropped in Photoshop and a jpg was generated. No processing. In a word....amazing.

Vince

DP3Merrill  50mm  f/11  1/80sec  ISO100  -1 EV

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow