Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,326
Like?
Re: Cameras: Why Do We Still Need Computers To Download To HDD's?
In reply to MPA1, 10 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

wasserball wrote:

If I have to carry something, I rather carry a laptop than a hard drive because a computer is more flexible and useful than a hard drive. And, I want to look at my photos. Yes, eventually, I transfer the photos to a hard drive.

Generally yes.

However a laptop costs $2000 and is a reason to mug you or steal from your baggage. A hard drive is of little interest to most thieves.

A simple "Copy to attached drive" command to dump the card contents to a portable USB drive would be relatively simple and cheap as a solution.

Three 2Tb mil spec drives would be far cheaper and you be fairly unlikely to fill 2Tb with any camera under 20Mp in the sort of time most people travel.

My computer with the i5 processor costs $600, not $2000. I have no need for a $2000 laptop. I cannot type or surf the internet with a $100 hard drive. If I drop my laptop, I'm out $600. If I drop my $100 hard drive, I lose more than $600 because the photos in the hard drive cannot be replaced unless I have backed up all the photos. Anything you own can be stolen, including your hard drive.  I don't use that as an excuse for not carrying a laptop with me. If you have that concern, then you would never carry a laptop with you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow