Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,512
Like?
It finally happened.
10 months ago

Most of this past week has been spent photographing the 2013 Landfall Festival of World Music. Over 70 musicians in a dozen bands from nearly a dozen countries came together for 5 days of incredible music. (Yes, I will post photos and a link to the main gallery once I am done editing). In discussing the photos with one of the artists, he asked what file size the images would be. He was looking at my E520 when he asked. I said the final .jpegs were usually anywhere between 4 and 10 MB depending on final dimensions, PP applied etc. "Hmmm. That is still ok for web use, but we're used to larger files for print."

Of course, the reality is that 5-10MB .jpeg files from a 10MB sensor are 300 dpi which is fine most print work. But I knew where he was coming from: most music photography pros use FF or APS-C, with the FF guys seemingly in the majority of those regularly working and selling the most photos. So of course the band in question was used to seeing larger .jpeg files.

I have to say it wasn't like he didn't want to use any of the photos: he was very keen on the idea. It was just I could tell he was weighing the possibilities regarding use of the final images based on his experience.

I will say that all the other musicians didn't even care about my gear or file sizes: they were happy to be performing someplace that provided a staff photographer who would offer images for limited promotional use as part of the "package" they get for performing in the festival.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow