Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,530Gear list
Like?
I'm done with DSLRs, but I owe everything to them
Sep 29, 2013

This format posturing that's been going on. . . well, something had to replace the OS wars I guess.   But this format bashing makes no sense to me.

If it wasn't for DSLRs (and forums such as DPRs) I couldn't have learned what I've learned at my own pace and in my own manner.    And it's the DSLR manufacturers that have had the resources in the decade past to lead R&D that has in part brought the industry to the state it is in today.   And as I see it, we've never had so many respectable options for the myriad of types of people taking photos today.

But all it takes is one non-sensical proclamation that DSLR is doomed or an alternative to a FF sensor just will never do, and the territorial inanity ensues.    I'm not immune to it myself, mind you.   A lot of thought went into the kit I've built, as well as the effort in putting it to use.   Told my kit isn't good enough, that translates to I don't know as much about photography, not about my gear or what I see that results from it.   "Eff Ewe" readily comes to mind with that.   But a little impulse control is good to have at such times.

Back to the point, nothing about this industry is static.  Technology marches on.  To us with our fingers on the pulse of those developments, it's like watching water boil.  But it is evolving, for all manner of formats.   5 years from now our postures will change as the hardware does, but I think we all owe a lot to DSLRs.   And this format posturing is something we in various stages of adulthood should re-consider.

Just one opinion for your consideration.   But it is an opinion, so I expect to be burned at the stake.   Have it it.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow