Official statement on Sony A-mount future...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Official statement on Sony A-mount future...
In reply to Atgard, 10 months ago

Atgard wrote:

Bottom line, if I never read all the hand-wringing on forums, I would have zero concern that A-mount is going away.

But now you do?

In short, you don't pay attention to the product cycle. If you did, you'd have already begun to observe the simple fact that instead of an A38 + A58 we got an A58 that was pretty watered down. Instead of a rather overdue A66 or A78, we got... Nothing. We did get an A99.

Maybe not that alarming by itself to see one new APS-C A mount camera in 2013, but it is a significant change when compared to when the SLR and SLT models were coming strong. 5 models in 2009, 7 in 2010. Since then, it's been dropping -- 3 in 2011, 2 in 2012 and 1 in 2013.

Meanwhile, E mount is humming along just fine. Since inception in 2010, there have been almost double A mount - 11 cameras! And then there's the Handycam/NXCAM line.

I know everyone wants 6 new A-mount bodies and 12 new A-mount lenses per year, but that's just not in the cards. The fact that Sony's schedule is slower than that does not mean death of the A-mount.

You're being hyperbolic to make those who are worried about A mount look like idiots, but the reality is, the graph would show a severe drop in new A mount cameras. Nobody is expecting 'six new models per year', but HALF that might be nice. More than just the A58, maybe? Is that asking too much? Apparently so, according to you.

If we ever go 12-24 months with no new A-mount lenses or cameras, then there might be some possible reason to have these discussions.

So until it's been TWO YEARS since ANY A mount lens or camera you refuse to even discuss the possibility? Do you get last year's newspapers delivered via Sherpa to your remote cave?

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow