Trial HDR Of Canon 6D, 70D; Nikon D600 and Olympus OMD EM5

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512Gear list
Like?
Re: Trial HDR Of Canon 6D, 70D; Nikon D600 and Olympus OMD EM5
In reply to 4thnebula, 10 months ago

Made an error.  Didn't realize the OP would post after I returned the title.

Here is my post.

I have done a preliminary HDR trial with my cameras trying to understand how each works regarding dynamic range and HDR and to learn how to work with that when taking photos so I get the best range I can.  This is a trial and not a scientific analysis though I am learning from it and I hope readers will as well.  I also hope to get suggestions on how to carry this further to learn what I need to make sure I am able to get as much data (landscapes, portraits and figures) from the photos I take.  I use my photos as back-up for my paintings/drawings and often don't get second chances to get backup data though I paint/draw with the goal of not needing the photos.

Hand held I went to a local location at midday when the sun was near brightest so the situation would be challenging for highlights and shadows.  I used a location with an old  man-made stormwater outfall constructed with dolomitic limestone and concrete.  I like the colors of dolomite since it often reflects some pinks with the greys.  I tried to get a top lens for each camera from what I have to get prime focal lengths the same.  I set all f-stops a f5.6.  The cameras and lenses used were:

Canon 6D with Canon 35mm f2 IS

Canon 70D with Canon 50mm f1.4

Nikon D600 with Nikon 60mm f2.8 micro II

Olympus OMD EM5 with Panasonic 25mm f1.4

I used IS where possible.  ISO on each camera was set at ISO 100 except for the Olympus which was set at ISO 200.  I have posted below: 1) the best single shots from each camera I found; 2) the Best In-camera HDR for the Nikon D600 (I did not set the Canon correctly to get in-camera HDR-a test I will have to redo after I get suggestions); and 3) Nik HDR Pro 2 Photoshop CS6 plug-in created defaults from multiple exposures from each camera.  The photos were reduced in size in Photoshop CS6 to fit in this forum.  The Photos are as follows:

1. Olympus OMD EM5 HDR PRO 2 image from 7 exposures (-0.7EV through +3.3EV)

2. Nikon D600 HDR PRO 2 image from 3 exposures (-0.67EV to +0.67EV)

3. Nikon D600 Best Non-HDR single photo +0.67EV

4. Nikon in-camera HDR closest in-camera photo to what I was seeing

5.  Canon 70D Best non-HDR single photo +1.00EV

6. Canon 6D best non-HDR single photo +0.33EV

7.  Canon 6D HDR PRO 2 default from 7 exposures taken from -1.00 through +1.00

8.  Olympus OMD EM5 best non-HDR single photo 0.00EV

9. Canon 70D HDR PRO 2 default from 3 exposures taken from -1.00EV to +1.00EV

I realize not all is apples to apples but it tells me a fair amount.  It tells me that I can probably get enough data from my Canons without the use of the Nikon.  The Canon 70D HDR (number 9) is my favorite.  Love the colors.  Actually I always have enjoyed Canon JPEG colors.  Pinks and blues in the concrete above the outfall opening came out super in the HDR PRO 2s.  I subjectively at this point consider the Olympus OMD EM5 single non-HDR photo (number 8) to be the best tonal range out of the camera photo.

I would appreciate constructive criticisms and opinions.  Thank you.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow