Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
WFulton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,592
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 + SB-910 + SB-80DX
In reply to Crabtree, 10 months ago

Crabtree wrote:

Hi guys,

I was shooting D100 and with SB-DX as on-camera flash for almost a decade. I finally upgraded to a D800 last year, and just last month I got myself a SB-910.

Needless to say, I've only started learning about wireless flash after getting the SB-910. To which I was wondering whether it's possible to use my SB-80DX with my D800 by attaching a SU-4 Wireless Remote TTL Flash Controller to the SB-80DX (to emulate the slave setup that's built into the SB-910)?

Would that work?

Cheers.

Yes, but ... (two buts)

The SB-80DX already has the SU-4 slave built into it (called wireless slave).  So that's all you need, you already have it.

And with the D800, the SB-80DX can only work in a Manual flash mode system.   Which means its wireless remote Manual mode, NOT the Auto mode.    SB-80DX manual, page 85.

The SB-80DX manual discusses it working with TTL, but which means Film TTL - it does not mean digital iTTL with the D800.  It cannot do iTTL.   So to use the SB-80DX in any capacity with the D800, every flash in the system has to be in Manual flash mode (and specifically, NO COMMANDER).   But then, no issues.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow