Lens quality control

Started Sep 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,472Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens quality control
In reply to walkaround, Sep 29, 2013

"The challange for Sony is cost: how to make a good enough and small enough lens in China for as little money as possible. This is not the pure engineering problem you are making it out to be."

Of course you are correct. It is all about cost. Tighter tolerances cost money. I see my post did not bring out that important point.

In thinking about why that did not come across, I realize that in the context of working for a large company, if something does not meet the cost constraints, it simply gets lumped into "not manufacturable."

In contrast, one particular metrology lens I have personnel knowledge of is actually made in low quantities (a few a year) assembled at night by the designer who has a Phd optics.   The assembly is done at night so vibrations from traffic don't wash out the fringes on the interferometer used to align each element.  It can be made, but in my company it would be considered "non-manufacturable."

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow