Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,878
Like?
Re: Charles, and I agree
In reply to sderdiarian, Sep 29, 2013

sderdiarian wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

If you want to use 4/3 PDAF lenses then that could be the best possible reason to spend the money. The better LCD screen, much better EVF, higher shutter speed, focus peaking, etc, are ALL nice to have, but not really necessary for many of us.

The real problem for Olympus in upgrading the EM5 is... the EM5 is still very near the top of it's class. Eventually, we will get something better, but it will have to be a lot better to get me to part with $1400. There are lenses I would rather buy instead!

-- hide signature --

Marty
Olympus E-30, Olympus E-PL2, Olympus OM-D, Sony SLT-A55

Yes, Olympus did too good of a job on the E-M5, likely due to their having a near-death experience at the time due to the scandal. They had to come out with a great camera, or I seriously think they would have been kaput, and the E-M5 pulled them out of that dive, both in terms of corporate image and sales.

Here it is 1 1/2 years later, and it's become something of a legend in mFT circles, the little camera that could. I've had mine for almost a year and I still absolutely love it, it's simply so far ahead of my E-620 and E-510 in IQ and features, two cameras I also loved dearly.

Tough act to follow, and at $1400, well I'm just not going there (E-M1) at this time. I'll wait for either the E-M1 to become affordable or Olympus to come out with a less expensive body with many of the same features, which I think is inevitable given the competition.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

OM-2S, E-510, E-620, E-PM1, E-M5

The experience with the EM5 vs the EM1 is not dissimilar too what Nikon encountered with the D300. When it came out, that camera had such a compelling set of features and performance that a lot of people opted out of buying the flagship and went with what Nikon considered a "prosumer" camera. This has happened throughout the history of "System Cameras".  In the 70's, 80's and 90's, some pros opted for cameras such as the Canon A-1 or T90 over the Canon F1, with similar occurrences with Nikon.

What we witness on forums like this is people assume that Olympus overpriced a camera that they assume is a replacement for the EM5, or the camera every EM5 owner should feel compelled to upgrade to. That's not the case, and anyone who really thinks things through needs to consider a couple of things.

First, features and tech almost always "leapfrog" a given model tier. Why does the Canon 70D have features that some would feel make the 7D superfluous for the cost (or in Nikon it would be the D7100 vs the D300s). Or alternately, leaving off features and quality of build is another way of producing two cameras that seem almost equal in primary features (6D vs 5D3 or D600 vs D800).

That's why I say individual mileage may vary. For me, even if I owned the EM5, the EM1 is worth the money because of the focus with 4/3 lenses I would get a lot of use out of; focus peaking; improved IBIS; wifi capability; ergonomics. For some, those don't add up to an extra $400 USD. For me they do, as they will all contribute to a preferred working method over what the EM5 has to offer.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow