Started Sep 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?
Re: Entry level headshot lens
In reply to anotherMike, Sep 29, 2013

anotherMike wrote:

Easy:

85/1.8G if you can afford it, and if that's a bit of a stretch, go manual focus and pick up a good condition used 105/2.5 AIS for a couple hundred. To this day I *seriously* regret selling my 105/2.5; that was one of the dumbest moves I ever made. Either way you go, you are getting something WAY beyond entry level in terms of quality as a lens, for not really that excessive amounts of cash.

-m

I agree with this general sentiment, look into manual focus Ais lenses, the mentioned 105/2.5 is excellent (and, anotherMike, -- you can often find anotherLens like that used). I would also look into 135/2.8 Ais. Personally, I find 85mm a bit short for headshots, and 105 and 135mm are both better for that purpose IMO. Also, don't be afraid to look into zooms for portrait shots. Both 80-200 and 70-200 f/2.8 zooms make superb portrait lenses, though might be on the pricey side. But, the older Ais zooms, 50-135 f/3.5 and 80-200 f/4 could be acquired on the cheap, and they are very good too, plus you gain the flexibility of a zoom. I would argue that for a headshot you don't need super fast aperture, and f/4 is generally sufficient, or you will often risk having only one eye in focus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow