DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?

Started 10 months ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
merops
Contributing MemberPosts: 921
Like?
DSLR users: how many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?
10 months ago

DSLR USERS ONLY, please (because I suspect that the answers will differ between formats). Other people are welcome to set up similar/identical polls for other formats.

How many lenses per camera do you CURRENTLY have AVAILABLE TO USE?

How to calculate this number:

1) If you only currently use DSLR bodies with one mount-type/format, this is easy:

y = the number of different lenses that you currently have (whether bought new or secondhand, or before or after you bought you first DSLR) that you can use on your DSLRs.

y is the number to enter in the poll.

e.g. for me, I currently have 5 lenses that I can use on one mount-type/format (Nikon F mount, crop-frame), so y = 5, and I chose the option ‘>2 – 5’

NB: The number of different bodies that you have of the same mount-type/format that you currently have (I have three, a D90 and two D3100’s) does not matter, because each of the lenses could be used on each of the cameras.

2) If you currently use DSLRs with more than one mount-type/format (eg Nikon and Canon full-frame, or crop-frame and full-frame) then:

a) For each mount-type/format (e.g. 4 different mount-type/formats if you have both crop- and full-frame formats in Nikon and Canon DSLRs: crop-Nikon, full-Nikon, crop-Canon, full-Canon), Count up the number of different lenses that you currently have (whether bought new or secondhand, or before or after you bought you first DSLR) that you can use on THAT format (including by virtue of an adapter). This number is z.
NB: lenses that can be used on several mount-type/formats should be included in the counts for EACH of those mount-type/formats.

b) Calculate the average of z. (Add up all the individual z values, then divide by the number of z values). Enter the average of z in the poll.

e.g. I currently have 5 Nikon lenses, of which 2 are FX (full-frame), but I only have DX (crop-frame) cameras, so the number I enter in the poll is 5 (see (1) above). However, I am about to buy an FX camera and three more FX lenses, so then I will have bodies of two different mount-type/formats (ie DX and FX), and 3 DX and 5 FX lenses. Then, for DX bodies the value of z will be 8 (because I will be able to use both DX and FX lenses on DX bodies), and for FX bodies the value of z will be 5 (because I will only be able to use the 5 FX lenses). My average value of z will be 6.5 (= (8 + 5)/2).

I have also posted a poll about how many lenses/ camera you have bought. It would be nice if you would also complete the other poll, if you have not already done so.

For more explanation of the two polls, see the thread “Why are so few lenses bought per DSLR?”

POLL
<1
1.1% 1  vote
3.2% 3  votes
>1 to 2
1.1% 1  vote
>2 to 5
40.0% 38  votes
>5 to 10
28.4% 27  votes
>10 to 20
16.8% 16  votes
>20
9.5% 9  votes
  Show results
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
9.5?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow