Most activity on M4/3s forum

Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Thomas Karlmann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683Gear list
Like?
35mm Film is somehow optimal for digital sensors?
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, Sep 29, 2013

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

I shot Canon for years and still use a Canon DSLR sometimes. I went over the the Canon forum I used to frequent a lot, guess what, the activity there is not near what it is here. Why do you think that is the case.

Canon and Nikon have had decades to hone and perfect things like the ergonomics of their cameras,

Really? Each to their own. I think the ergonomics of full frame DSLR's just plain suck. They are bloated boat anchors compared to 35mm Film SLR's

I think this is essentially correct.  I think the "decades of refinement" went into the 35mm film cameras.  So when they designed those cameras, I'm sure they started out with the 35mm film cartridge -- and then designed the camera around that.  Now that we have digital sensors, did they think they could sneak those digital sensors into their old film bodies and no one would notice?

Who says FF cameras (Read: 35mm film-sized camera bodies) are in any way optimal for digital sensors?  Sure, everyone would like to use their existing glass investment, but how far do (did) they think they can carry this philosophy of a 35mm-film-sized camera pressed into service for digital use?

We could go on with this topic.  The Mirror.  Nice idea in an optical-only world.  Now, that mirror is being proven unnecessary.  Is this an easy decision to arrive at?  No, go take a look at the Sony a99.  MR over at Lum-Land stated in his a99 review: ok, but what is the mirror for?  I had read a long time ago that the added distance between the rear lens element and the sensor/film-plane, required by the mirror, causes compromises in the optical design of the lenses.  So this means that our FF digital cameras are all running with non-optimal glass -- all this results from the derivation of these cameras from film.

Who, among the die-hard OVF fan club are willing to go sans Live View?  Nikon certainly does not have this right -- as you adjust exposure that the view does not change.  ?  Times they are a-changin'.

-- hide signature --

Thom--

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow