Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yodermk
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
Just installed Magic Lantern on the 5D3 - some initial notes
Sep 29, 2013

Admittedly I kind of whizzed through the instructions and some other info/warnings. Here are some things to keep in mind before you install.

* Once you install it, you can not uninstall it. For now anyway. On my 60D I could boot with a non ML card to be rid of it. Not so with the 5D3. Once the bootflag is set, if the SD does not have ML installed, the camera will not start at all. And you can't unset the bootflag. I suppose that will be possible in the future but it isn't now.

* It is a little slower to start up. Some people in the forums have said they have missed shots due to that.

* It drains battery like heck, even when you're not shooting. Maybe a few % an hour, when the camera is on. I see the card light flash every now and then, even when nothing is going on. I'd like to know what it is doing.

* For RAW video, you want to format the CF card with exfat, to get files larger than 4GB.

* My initial RAW video experience: The video quality is indeed good, but on some frames (maybe on average 2 a minute) there is a thin horizontal band of pink noise. I haven't seen that specific issue in the ML forum. I may ask at some point.

Here is what I'm doing, in Linux, to get a usable video from the footage:

The first command uses Wine (Windows emulator, which lets you run some Windows programs in Linux) to run the converter. It reads the .RAW file off the card and fills the current directory full of .dng files.

$ wine /home/micah/bin/raw2dng.exe /run/media/micah/8F7B-5048/DCIM/100EOS5D/M28-1525.RAW

Next, I run the UFRaw batch converter. This converts each .dng to a .jpg. It is possible to set various command line flags to convert the photos in different ways. I suppose I should convert them to TIFF for fully lossless editing.

$ ufraw-batch --out-type=jpg --exposure=0 --compression=98 *.dng

Finally, use ffmpeg to make a video, preserving quality.  A 4 minute video (4021 frames) is about 1.6GB.

$ ffmpeg -i %6d.jpg -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 1 video.avi

Seems to work pretty well except for the occasional pinkish noise.  Truth be told, though, I *probably* should have waited a while longer to install Magic Lantern.  If you are not a geek, you almost certainly should wait.

BTW I bought two Komputerbay 128GB 1000x CF cards.  They are said to have the same internals as the Lexar cards, but having lower quality control (affecting speed only, not reliability).  I seem to be able to write 60-90MB/sec with my USB 3 card reader.  The aforementioned 4 minute video recorded without any frame skipping, but I think it just stopped at that point, so it might have missed a frame had it been set to skip frames instead of stop.  These cards maybe should be replaced - apparently Komputerbay will replace cards that do not perform as advertised.

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow