Interview with Tereda and other Olympus staff

Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: It is that last touch that makes all the difference ..
In reply to Sergey_Green, Sep 28, 2013

Sergey_Green wrote:

erichK wrote:

Our necks, backs and shoulders and our bank accounts will appreciate the break! And our marriages may last longer.

So that's how it is for you, I am sorry to hear that.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Actually, that's how it is - the necks, back and shoulder part- for half of the dozen or so pros I know. Much more so than for me: I don't have to lug "all that crap" (a quote, not my words") all day long. The bank account part also applies to the two who are their own business and one of the newspaper ones (the era of megabuck camera pools and lenses is passing fast!).

Of the others, one who also manages a large music store and has steadily cut back his once $40-50k stock of Canon "FF" cameras and lenses because he finds the "depreciation on my body even worse than that on $7,000 or $8,000 camera bodies" (that's close to an exact quote) he was asking me about mFT and is also very interested in Fuji EVIL cameras.

One other is 6' 4" and 25 or so years old and has no problem carrying two big Nikons. Another is nearly twice that age, and even through he's fit and almost as big, has moved from Canon 1Ds's to a 5D and a 60d. Another, a brilliant Chinese photographer, had assistants when he was in China, now shoots drill-core samples in a lab and uses a Canon xxD and a Ricoh P&S for his own photography. Two others use Nikon 90D's

Almost 80 years ago, W. Eugene Smith was fired from his first real job with NEWSWEEK magazine because they found out that he was using too small a camera (P49, Hughes, Jim SHADOW & SUBSTANCE: The Life and Work of an American Photographer). He used Zeiss Contax 35mm rangefinder cameras, then Leicas like Cartier Bresson. These masters of photography preferred such, in their day, miniature format cameras with associated processing difficulties because they were smaller and quieter and easier to carry, therefore less likely to get in the way of realistic portrayal.

The camera and/or lens that you don't have with you can never take a picture, even if they are the very best in the world.  And the honking big camera and lens that some define as "professional" tend to be so obtrusive that they disqualify themselves from much more than 1%, or indeed even 10% of my photography.  They get in the way of taking a natural picture thus illustrating Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle (that observing an object inevitably changes an object) in a whole new way.

That means that regardless of the outrage some choose to feel with Terada's problematic English and the arrogant accounting idiocies of a few at the top of a 30k employee company, Olympus is indeed producing photographic tools that will be useful to a great many photographers.  Even professional photographers.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow