Started Sep 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,605Gear list
Like?
Re: Entry level headshot lens
In reply to thebasharjobs, Sep 28, 2013

thebasharjobs wrote:

Hi there,

I'm an entry level photographer that'd like to explore...entry level headshots. Being entry level unfortunately means I work on something of a budget and have been looking around the internet weighing the various pros and cons of everyone's suggestions.

For awhile I was set on a 50mm 1.8g until progressively more digging uncovered the distortion level to be way too much in certain cases and not an optimal lens for portraits (yet the price point remains haunting).

After that the resounding cry across the internet seems to settle upon anything between a 85-135mm lens that's mostly out of my price range.

I did stumble upon the 70-300mm f4/5.6 thats attractively priced. While it wouldn't offer the crispness of a prime nor does it have the lowest f stop it seems like it might be ok for someone just starting out. Any thoughts?

The 85mm f/1.8G is probably your best bet unless it's out of your price range. I'm assuming you have a DX Nikon that requires AF-S lenses for autofocus, making it harder to use the somewhat cheaper 85mm f/1.8 D lens. Is this correct? It would have been good if you said what camera you had.

The 70-300 f/4-5.6 is not as good as the popular 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR. Also, it is not an AF-S lens. You would probably be using it wide open for portraits, where it would be at its worst.

The absolute best bargain portrait lens is the 105 f/2.5 AI. Now, it's manual focus and your camera probably won't meter with it, but it's relatively inexpensive (used, of course), sensationally sharp and renders beautifully.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow