Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Swe_Legion
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Primes - my never ending love
7 months ago

All my primes for the Olympus OM-D (E-M5) and the much beloved FL-600R.

I love primes. It all began with a Nikon D60 paired with a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and now my camerabag looks very much like what you see on the picture above. I managed to snap a few shots with a smartphone before my 1,5 yearold daughter did a battlecry an made it for the lenses *panic*

The things I love about primes is this (and bare in mind that we are all born equal but do have different oppinions - so please feel free to add your own constructive thoughts on this).

1. Move your feet

Optical quality is one of the best reasons to buy primes, but that fact that you have to move a lot more with primes makes me love them so much. You can't put on a 25mm and supertele a portrait of that lovely girl/man on the street - you have to walk over and take a more personal shot. Work those legs, run, sprint, walk, crawl, bend, twist - get to the perfect position to take the shot!

2. Optical quality

Primes are usually of better optical quality and when you look at the 75mm, 45mm and 25mm thats more then true. Those lenses are so darn sharp that you can cut yourself on the images, at least if you stop down to f2.8 or so. The 75mm really is sharp even from f/1.8. There are very nice zoomlenses of cause, but hey, primes are a tad better - right?

3. Focus on a focallength

I love putting on a prime and work with that particular lens a whole day. The 25mm is of cause more versatile then the 75mm, but putting on the later and then trie to find new and exciting uses really is fun. When your creative mind has to work hard it gets more fun and you learn a lot from just trial and error.

4. Hunt that bokeh!

A smooth background makes the object of your focus stand out and you find the image to be more pleasing to watch. Most primes got better aperture then zooms and handle bokeh way better - at least that is my own learning from the years between my Nikon D60 and the Olympus E-M5. (I also have a Sony NEX-6 and a Nikon D700).

-- hide signature --

Daniel Haaf

Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow