Cancelled my E-M1 order

Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,403Gear list
Like?
Re: Cancelled my E-M1 order
In reply to Underdog 3000, Sep 28, 2013

Underdog 3000 wrote:

So, ther are 2 good lenses to choose from?

Just asking because I'm considering follwwwwinng the Hyype liiigghht and making a substantial switch to Olympus (sorry too many times watching 'Wreck it Ralph" with the kids).

Seriously, lens choice and 3rd party involvement, not to mention the recent financial scandal has me worried about Olympus. But then again, you can't argue with the IQ I see in the comparisons.

I'm just tired of my K-5 turning pink into magenta - did I mention I have 2 daughters?

The end result is what matters. There is a lot of anxiety about software corrected lenses, but that's really a big advantage of the OVF-less cameras and not the disadvantage it's often thought to be.

With an OVF camera you can have some software correction, typically with chromatic aberrations and for vignetting, but when it comes to distortion, you're in trouble because you need for the viewfinder to show a corrected view through the lens. Problem is, that even though optical correction for distortion makes the lens larger, heavier and more expensive it doesn't necessarily give you a better end image than with a lens where the correction is done by software. In both cases you lose some resolution and contrast, but with the optical correction you not only have a hard time getting it spot on, you also risk introducing new distortions and aberrations.

So again, look at the end result. Optically corrected lenses aren't necessarily better or worse than software corrected ones, but they're almost always bigger and costlier to produce.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow