Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,292Gear list
Like?
Yes, really
In reply to rovingtim, Sep 28, 2013

rovingtim wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Except that FT was designed from scratch. Olympus were not devising a way to attach a digital sensor to a 135 film system.

Why so important? Does light behave differently because the camera body is 'digital'? Maybe its something that only happens in the Southern Hemisphere.

As usual, Tim, you're wandering off-subject and into trolling.

Do you understand what 'optimal' means?

You mean as in 'optimal size'?

Did Olympus use the term when referring to size? No, they didn't.

Oly's eagerness for demonstrating their compactness helped set off the equivalent wars. Oly kept accidentally only using focal length when describing their size advantage.

Can you point to any manufacturer giving 'equivalent DOF'? No, you can't.

"Equivalence" is a pointless exercise, and most people understand that.

OPINION

Fact. No such term as 'equivalence' in common usage. If it was useful then it would be in general use, but it is simply not so.

I say that you have a very limited memory when it comes to photography.

OPINION

Obvious fact, that you support with each post. Unless it is simply trolling, I suppose.

• Open Standard -- Ensures expandability and compatibility of products from different manufacturers

In the end, this didn't ensure anything, did it?

Didn't Panasonic also build bodies and lenses, and didn't they subsequently create MicroFT based on the same concept? That we can now continue to use our 'over engineered' standard FT lenses on?

We can also use Nikkors, Canon, Pentax ... the isn't isn't the ability to use them, it is how functional they are. The EM1 is the first m43/rds camera that promises normal functionality for 4/3rds lenses.

I can't use my standard FT lenses on a Canon or Nikon body. I can (it appears) use them fully on an E-M1.

Having an open standard does appear to have worked better than a closed standard, simply because we'd have yet another proprietary and totally incompatible system.

No, he wants an 'E-7' in preference to an E-M1.

True. But if ultimate IQ is really important, he would get something else.

So would everyone.

It's always a trade-off.

Unfortunately, Olympus would have a hard time breaking even on producing such a body given the minimal advantages it would offer, so they have elected not to do so.

OPINION - though I agree with you ... in my opinion

Yes, that is an opinion. There is no suggestion as to how Olympus could sell large numbers of an E-7, and they have costs to cover. That they would have a hard time breaking even shouldn't be particularly controversial.

This does not mean that his desires are somehow 'wrong', Tim -- just that he has different desires, and possibly actual needs, than yours (or mine).

OPINION - and while I agree with part of what you are saying here, his post suggests that he bailed on the EM1 not because he learned something new about the EM1, but because Oly said it was designed for girls. "I'm at a disadvantage because I'm certainly neither young nor female. I'm also okay that my E-3 and 50-200 is a big piece of gear - it takes good pictures."

If IQ is more important than size, then 4/3rds is the wrong format.

So is APS-C, and so is 135.

It gave up IQ in order to gain a size advantage over its competition.

No, they were seeking to build an optimal system that would yield equivalent image quality to 135 film.

Otherwise, Olympus could have simply bought a cheap APS-c sensor that was available at the time and designed its magical digital lenses around that. And if IQ was really really important, they would have gone FF or even Medium format.

We know they were serious about their attempt to build a completely new system precisely because they did not simply follow suit and use ('1.5 crop') APS-C.

Imagine a magical digital Olympus lens on a Phase One back. All other camera would immediately vanish.

Such a system would only be optimal for studio work and certain other niches.

It should be obvious that Olympus were aiming at a replacement for the OM system, including the same customer base.  It may not be obvious to you, but then you don't seem to be able to grasp such subtleties -- that memory problem.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow