Cancelled my E-M1 order

Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,241Gear list
Like?
Re: No, it never was
In reply to Macx, Sep 28, 2013

Macx wrote:

In the 500- and 400-series Olympus had a much easier sell in that here was a palpable advantage for the user from using a smaller sensor: A smaller camera. I think Olympus is right in thinking that the "full size" lenses and cameras was a disadvantage to them in the marketplace.

Yes, and they desperately need a full-featured body to play in this class now. With their range of small lenses, it could compete very well with the D5200, giving consumers a true choice that should go Olympus' way on convenience alone.

That's not saying that nobody wanted that size lenses and bodies for 4:3. That would be demonstrably false, but I think the direction Olympus is going with their micro four-thirds is the right one: You can go tiny, and you can go larger, and the E-M1 with grip is still a substantial camera even if it's still smaller than a lot of DSLRs. I definitely see it as a spiritual successor to the E-1 that I fell in love with. It lacks the OVF, but the EVF has its clear advantages too.

I see it more as the E-xxx on steroids that many of us were asking for back in the day of 4/3's. As others have pointed out, the E-M1 is almost identical to the E-620 in height, width and weight, but adds in weathersealing, a modern sensor, the E-510 grip for larger lenses and finally access to some great compact primes. In many ways a perfect camera provided you're willing to pay the premium (which I feel is $200 too high, but whatever).

Yes, the micro-four thirds range is smaller, but I don't think there is any need for hand-wringing about it being targeted to gurls and not burly men's men: From all accounts so far the E-M1 is a solid piece of kit that'll work well for both genders.

Hey, nobody but us pays any attention to what Olympus says in any case, most don't even know they exist other than as some fringe camera company they never see on store shelves or in ads. Only those willing to dig thru reviews or who are OM users from way back know of them, their now being sold almost exclusively through internet vendors.

Point is, Terade's quote on "designed for women" is inconsequential other than as fodder for some laughs by this and the mFT forums. Sadly, their lack of visibility is helping them on this one .

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow