Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alan Sh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162Gear list
Like?
My MFA experiences with the 6D
10 months ago

Ever since MFA came out, I've been using it - my 50D had it, my 7D has it and my 6D has it. I purchased FoCal since it got a good write up here and elsewhere and have had good results from it.

Until now. Got my 6D and calibrated all my lenses in the same way I have always done. But I wasn't over happy with the results on my 28-135. Frankly, 0,0 seemed to be as good as Focal suggestions (+3/+5).Then someone pointed me at "DotTune" (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247/0) so I thought I'd give that a go.

Focal was giving me +3 and +5 (W/T) originally. I tried Dot-Tune and it suggested that +9 was the way to go (I only tried Wide). Really? That doesn't feel right.

OK - time to do my own thing. So, I took pictures from -15 to +15 - autofocus, Av mode as wide as it would go and started to pixel peep. From my own eyes, I reckoned that +3 (wide) was probably as good as I was going to get and +3 (T) the same. But it was a very close run thing between +0 and +5 and as soon as you apply any sharpening, it all gets very similar.

So, I ran up FoCal again. Ran it in Turbo mode (a new mode I hadn't seen before) and that suggested +2/-2. Then I ran the old way again and that suggested +2/+2. Which is where I have left it. But it's different from last time I ran it.

So, what can I learn from all of this. Take MFA with a pinch of salt. Yes, it will help, but you need to try it again and again to get even vaguely consistent results.

How do the rest of you feel about MFA? Do you get consistent results from it? Do the pictures really look that much better?

Opinions gratefully received.

Alan

Alan Sh's gear list:Alan Sh's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow