Official statement on Sony A-mount future...

Started Sep 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
leonche64
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
Re: It's what you wrote.
In reply to artlmntl, Sep 28, 2013

Everything is perspective. I have explained mine quite well over time and in this thread. I don't really care whether you agree with me. I'm not trying to convert you or chase you away. But the situation has changed in interesting ways.

I hope you are enjoying the back and forth here. I like to think if we were sitting over some adult beverages, we would both have smiles as we serve and volley.

A-mount is expected to become mirrorless. E-mount is already mirrorless. E-mount receives the latest aps-c sensors and may even receive a FF sensor. E-mount supports a-mount with adapters. E-mount is apparently more profitable than a-mount. Sony has financial problems.

I guess this has caused the the greatest amount of upheaval. I think it should have caused the least amount of concern. Technology trickle down has occurred from the very beginning, and in almost every industry. Let's not forget that Sony is an electronics company first. They have R&D beyond any other in the game. So we get things like SLT, and the EVF and all the potential that comes with it. The first generation E-mounts did not have built in EVF. The technology matured with the second generation of SLT and now it is built into the NEX line. This implementation makes the cost of production cheaper for all involved. That is progress, and many welcome it. I became serious about photography with the Minolta 800si, went digital with the KM A7D. Skipped everything that came after until the A65, then the A77. I did not see any technology that would justify another purchase for me. What was really different? More MP, less external controls was about the gist of it. The current line was a huge leap, and thus I had great enthusiasm about getting the new bodies. We have no idea which is more profitable unless we have seen the spread sheets.

"Sony has financial problems". This is truth. Supported by documentation and public record.

Add all that together and it seems possible - even likely - that Sony may go to an "e-mount first" approach where a-mount lenses are supported with adapters - no a-mount bodies. NEX shooters already treat a-mount that way. So, you can't really be surprised if it happens. The situation lends itself to that outcome. But whatever happens is fine.

-- hide signature --

Hunter

This is where we see things differently. I don't see one as negating the other. Since 2012, Sony has released 5 NEX E mount bodies. They have released 4 A-mount bodies during that same period. We know the SLT is going away, just like the mirror did, just like film did. Once again, that is progress. I don't think the majority of users care that a mirror is flipping inside their camera, or that light is passing through a screen. It is not that important to most people using the product.

I am going to be VERY presumptuous here, and attempt to "look through your lenses." Correct me if I am wrong, (I have no doubt you will), Your stance is that because the technologies of the two products have become so integrated, that there is no need to keep 2 separate lines when product "E" can perform the same as product "A" while using product "A's" identifying component. Product "A" can not use product "E's" identifying component so therefore is inferior and should be eliminated. Is this correct?

If we were talking about something purely electronic, I would most likely agree with you, it seems redundant. But there are precedents to the contrary. Companies make different television, DVD players, and microwave ovens with very little difference between them. Lost of times it is the matter of the brackets that support the different housing being the only difference. Control layout, size, colors etc may vary, but one offering would do.

On your computer, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in the results produced between two similarly positioned models in the line up. Hold a NEX-7 in your left hand, and an A77 in your right. They are obviously different beast, appealing to different segments of the market. Some people fit into both segments, others could go either way, some are FIRMLY rooted in one. What is the advantage in losing that entire A77 group to the competition? That group that has proved they wanted new bodies because they have continued to buy them and we are on the 4th or 5th generation now. That group that actually provided the foundation for the NEX to exist. They want a certain "style" camera. The Nex is not it. Other companies do make those styles, and they will buy them.

I know you wrote that you were not trying to get me to agree with you, just stating your view and analyses, I respect that, but you hope that I am right in my assessment, and you are wrong in yours. Ain't life funny sometimes? (I would insert a smiley face here, but I refuse to ever do that on principle)

Sorry for the long post. It is afternoon in Hong Kong and I am waiting for the ferry to the mainland and it is too cloudy to take photos.

leonche64's gear list:leonche64's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow