Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ronzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285
Like?
Black and Gray dye cartridge use on consumer inkjet AIO
10 months ago

Model is Canon Pixma MG6320. It has a pigment black for documents and on the dye side for photos C, M, Y, Gray, and Black. When printing full color is the black cartridge used as a key layer undercoat as in basic offset printing of CMYK components to get rid of the impractical mixing of CMY in the subtractive color process to achieve black and maintain contrast? Is the gray cartridge used as well?

In other words photo black and photo gray are not just reserved for black monochrome printing?

Using QImage as the printing utility I fed a composite test standard color image with a gray scale and it had a color cast in the lower third of the gradient. I used Canon OEM inks on Photo Glossy II Canon Paper with its OEM G2 and G3 color profiles. It seemed black had a slightly red tinge as well.

I will be creating a Color Munki Photo V2 profile with it but I just wanted to know if the two neutral inks are used in color printing as well as in photo monochrome mode.

-- hide signature --

Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow