Cancelled my E-M1 order

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,622
Like?
Re: Wow!!
In reply to dahod, 11 months ago

dahod wrote:

I was out of town for a few days and just came back to this - surprised is a bit of an understatement.

First off I apologize to anyone I offended - I hate to see anyone get so wound up

Second - as I mentioned, I could be wrong (actually, I'm often wrong).

Third - my take on the interview is still the same - for Olympus, big is now bad. That position has given us software corrected lenses and a PRO line that might be at the 4/3 HG level. That seems to be okay with everybody.

Fourth - you might ask why I went 4/3 in the first place then. In response, Olympus had everything I was looking for - rugged magnesium body, weathersealed, reasonably priced great lenses, generally well thought out lens roadmap with promises to fill the holes, in-camera stabilization and an articulated LCD. I'm still happy with the choice I made.

I had skipped the E-5 in anticipation of it's replacement. The E-M1 comes with a couple of caveats that I hadn't expected however. With the camera, lens, adapter, battery holder, flash and three extra batteries I'm looking at north of $3200 - not unreasonable for what you're getting but a lot of money for me so I need to be sure.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond - sorry it raised so many emotions.

Dave

It should be noted that Olympus has been most successful with smaller cameras in the past, hence the use of the PEN and OMD nomenclature, to harken back to what made Olympus successful.

So what if lenses use software corrected? It's the image that matters. For those who sniff at such things as though it means the lenses are inferior...LOL get over your gear snobbery and just enjoy taking photos. Seriously, if the fixation is on the gear rather than the images produced...

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow