Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,921Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd like your opinion on the equipment I'm about to buy
In reply to TribeOfHenry, Sep 28, 2013

TribeOfHenry wrote:

Hello, I'd really like some advice:

I'm gearing up to buy my first DSLR. Previously i've shot stuff with phone camera, point and shoot - whatever. If it could take pics, i'd use it. Venturing into lens speeds and adjustable ISA and all that is a whole different ballgame now though. My main question is about lenses:

I've decided to get a Nikon D5100. Lense-wise, I'm contemplating buying it with the kit 18-55mm lens and a portrait/low light oriented lens with higher aperture/speed (f1.8) such as the 50mm. Does tis sound like a good idea? I tend to do macro and portraits but I also like to be able to capture things at a distance and moderately fast action. Could this set up fill those niches reasonably well?

Sorry for writing so much, I really look forward to your take and/or suggestions.

P.S. I'm kind of on a $700-750 budget.

Thank You!

Getting a zoom and a prime is not a bad plan. As someone else said, I would go for something like a 35mm f/1.8.

Nikon has a crop factor of 1.5x, so a 35mm lens will give you a view equivalent to a 52.5mm lens on a full frame body. This is a better all around focal length on an APS-C body as it's not too wide and not so long that you have to stand far back from you subject. This is the reason some people might describe 50mm as a "normal" focal length.

A 50mm lens on an APS-C body will give you a view similar to a 75mm lens on a full frame body. This might be better if you want to do portraits, but 75mm is a bit long to shoot in normal sized rooms as you have to stand back further from your subject to get more than a headshot.

Either will be good to have (I have both).

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow