Official statement on Sony A-mount future...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: Official statement on Sony A-mount future...
In reply to don1jam, 10 months ago

Interchange Lens, Full-frame, APS-C describe a market segment.

This describes two market segments. Mirrorless AF and mirrored PDAF.

That is very clear.

And very wrong.

Both E-mount and A-Mount support interchangeable lens, both support APS-C sensors, both will support full frame sensors and lens.

And one of them supports fast, full time mirrored PDAF and the other does not. You will see no E mount cameras in the hands of news or sport still photographers anytime soon, because they are not appropriate tools for that. A mount systems are.

At least that is how it is now. It may change. But it hasn't yet.

How it can it not be clear to you that this is not the same market segment?

How can you claim they are!?

Iphones and S4's have different capabilities but they are in the same market segment, how is this so hard to see?

The iPhone is marketed at those who want a unified experience, a one stop shop approach to getting apps and a known, easy to use phone which is both convenient and trendy. Apple pretty much has the top end segment to themselves, with over half of all mobile web traffic going through iPhones.

The S4 is for those who want to mark themselves as different from the Apple crowd, for whatever reason. It's not playing in the same field, it doesn't have nearly the same clout. And it most certainly isn't taking people away who would otherwise buy an iPhone. It takes away people who would otherwise buy a cheaper Android phone.

They are (fairly subtly perhaps) different, but they are different. You will find very few who switch around between expensive Android phones and iPhones. Not nearly enough people to make that overlap a market segment worth the name (or effort).

It is so clear.

I envy you your simple view on life. I wish things could be so black and white in mine. But alas, I have lived too long for that.

Your example of cars is not applicable because compact cars do not overlap with larger cars. Someone in the market for a Yaris does not buy a Lexus and vice versa.

That is exactly the point I am making.

Thank you. I am glad you see it that way.

Of course I do. Why would I make a point I don't see?

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow