Official statement on Sony A-mount future...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,425
Like?
Re: Official statement on Sony A-mount future...
In reply to don1jam, 11 months ago

don1jam wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

don1jam wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

moimoi wrote:

Don't believe what Sony says, as a profit company, if Sony sells much more emount gear than amount gear, then they will eventually drop it as they lose money.

Sony want to sell, and maximizing profits. 2014 might be interesting.

A non sequitur. Just because X sells more than Y, that doesn't mean Y is losing money.

By that token, there wouldn't be any FF cameras for example. Or closer to "home", an RX1 alongside the RX100 (II).

If X is more profitable than Y, then a company will prioritize X over Y.

Again overly simplistic. It depends on how much overlap there is, how much selling Y causes opportunity costs, how those costs are weighed, how they value the halo effects of product Y etc. etc.

And last but not least, potential profits should not be underestimated either when just staring at current earnings. Especially if they are going to appeal to higher end including professional markets too.

As stated above, the market segment of interchangeable cameras for E mount and A mount completely overlap.

Bold statement since:

• Currently there is no complete overlap at all. Not even close.
  • There are only rumors as to where the A mount design is heading, no facts. And assumptions are built on rumors.
  • Even if you go by those rumors, they state that the A mount will be generally targeted at a higher end crowd, with some overlap. The word complete does no longer fit in there.
  • Technically, it will take many years to establish a complete overlap, even if Sony did have any such intend. For starters, because there is no FF E mount glass yet and there is no E mount glass with ultrasonic ring motors for fast PDAF. Stepper motors (practically all OEM E mount glass) are inherently not going to match that (potential) focusing speed with PDAF, especially on larger lenses, regardless of how fast the body is. And ergonomics compromising adapters (especially with bulky motors built in to drive all those screw driven lenses) aren never going to satisfy everyone interested in or owning A mount glass. Only those willing to give up an integrated mount. In other words, no full overlap there either.

So all that I said in my previous post still applies. I have seen too many companies inside out (thanks to my job), to think that things are as simple as you just portrayed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow