Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
AndreaV
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
Re: Beginners and digital filters / postprocessing
In reply to JamesRL, Sep 27, 2013

JamesRL wrote:

AndreaV wrote:

It happened to me to read statements from several people that says things like (just to quote a couple of them):

"As a mediocre amateur photographer I find that the only way I can make some of my photos interesting is by applying "art filters""

or

"Bought my first Canon three months back and rely heavily on post production editing (I suck at manual mode)"

What do you think about this kind of approach?

I consider it definitely wrong. I think that to learn to make good photos you first should learn to make them straight out of the camera, learning the techniques and experimenting. Postprocessing and digital filters are something great, but they should be wisely applied to improve and give something more to an already good and interesting image. I think that if you start from a badly exposed/composed photo there is no way to get a good image just with some digital manipulation or applying some over-sharpening/saturating or vintage-looking filter.

You are entitled to think what you want. I am entitled to think you are sanctimonious, lecturing to others.

Is there abuse of art filters? Sure. But to broadly brush those of us who do post production (as I did in my chemical dark room in film days) as bad photographers is just over the top.

Go make some nice pictures. Worry about your own pictures, and leave other's tastes aside.

You misunderstood what I said. I just said that you cannot substitute the capability to shot a good photo in camera with postprocessing. I did not "broadly brush those of us who do post production as bad photographers". Postprocessing is a foundamental part of the realization of a good image and I use it like you, and I used it as well in my chemical dark room.

AndreaV's gear list:AndreaV's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 350D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow