Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,267Gear list
Like?
You should be less selective in what you see
In reply to rovingtim, 7 months ago

rovingtim wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

As Olympus' stated unique selling point of 4/3rds was "smaller, portable" then I would humbly suggest you picked the wrong system for yourself.

That wasn't the USP, Tim:

Yes it was. Everyone except a few chosen on this forum knows this. Check out MAIN BENEFITS at the top of the page I linked.

Main Benefits:

• 100% Digital Concept -- Digital dedicated design optimizes performance of the image sensor
  • High Mobility -- Compact design maximises camera mobility
  • Open Standard -- Ensures expandability and compatibility of products from different manufacturers

You may want to ensure that both of your eyes are open, Tim.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/index.html

"pursuing the optimum relationship between image sensor size and lens mount size" is the USP.

This is just mumbo jumbo. (Oly's statement, not yours)

No it isn't, Tim.

The optimising included such things as telecentricity and selecting a 4:3 aspect ratio.  Arguably the sensor size may have been too small for the system to have been considered competitive by many people, and it didn't help that Panasonic were lagging the best available sensors used in other systems, however it is pretty obvious that Olympus looked at creating this system from scratch and could have gone smaller if they wished to compromise in other areas -- i.e. if size was actually their USP.

They could have traded off differently and gone with a larger overall system, but then they would be sitting somewhere above APS-C in price but still below 135 in potential image quality.

Have a look at large format cameras. They can be had relatively cheaply at the moment and have awesome IQ.

The cheap 135 format bodies are cheap because they lack features.

I was talking about large format film, not a compact 35mm camera.

You may wish to consider the total costs of producing each photo, in that case.

But even so, the D800 does not lack features and its only a few hundred quid cheaper than the EM1.

The D800 is US$2800 on B&H Photo (includes a $200 rebate), vs. US$1400 for the E-M1.  Then you have to put very high-end lenses on the D800 to get the best out of it.

You'd be looking at paying at least twice the price and have a system at least twice as heavy and much larger.  That is the trade-off.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow