Cancelled my E-M1 order

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284Gear list
Like?
I have the E-M1 and 12-40 on pre-order
In reply to dahod, 10 months ago

dahod wrote:

I got caught up in the hype around the E-M1 - what wasn't to like?

Quite a lot of things, if you want to be picky.  In my case, not quite up to E-5 standard of S-AF with my 50-200 (apparently).  Battery life also looks a bit dubious for something aimed at high-end users.  Hopefully Olympus are working on a higher-capacity battery.

As I intend on keeping the E-5 this shouldn't be a concern, and I am really intending for the E-M1 to be a replacement for the E-M5 and 12-50.  (That was in turn a -- theoretical -- replacement for the E-620 and 12-60.  Theoretical because I could seldom be bothered carrying the E-620 along with the E-5.)

- generally favourable reviews, new lenses on the horizon, ability to use my old 4/3 lenses, commitment to m4/3 by Olympus as its future etc etc. At last - Olympus breaks their silence and the world is good.

I read the interview with Mr. Terada (http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/09/18/the-om-d-e-m1-new-pro-lenses-and-2014-an-interview-with-olympus-europe/) however, and it left me with a less than warm and fuzzy feeling. I could be reading it wrong and I apologize if I am but my take from it was

1. 4/3 was a failure because it didn't result in measurably smaller camera/lens combinations - M4/3 will correct that.
  2. His target market is the "young generation with a focus on young females"
  3. He can't figure out how to attract European women buyers but he has a couple of thoughts.
  4. M4/3 can almost beat APS-C on image quality but wins on portability ("their lenses are so much bigger than ours")

Right off the bat, I'm at a disadvantage because I'm certainly neither young nor female. I'm also okay that my E-3 and 50-200 is a big piece of gear - it takes good pictures.

I don't understand that at all.  Olympus are targeting young female buyers with the PEN range, therefore you cancel your the E-M1 order?  What?

This new Olympus has clearly targeted the "grab your gear and go" market. I'm not saying it won't take good pictures because it will as we've clearly seen. What I am saying though is that the Olympus commitment is now on small, portable and discrete - that's not necessarily my world.

Well, surely you should be using a 135 system -- if not medium format.

If system weight and bulk (and cost) is no object, then why don't you go with a 135 system?  You would get improved image quality in many cases, and shallower DOF if you want it.

You can say "so what? - the proof is in the pictures". That's true and the pictures are impressive but in order to keep the size down the lenses are all software corrected.

One of the things I dislike -- but, it really is about the final result; and I'm aware that I am being a grumpy old man on that point.

Besides, the SHGs will be around for a while longer if I feel the need to avoid software fudging and am willing to pay the price (in dollars and weight).

There will be no big optically correct lens for this camera - the "Pro" line is it. According to Mr. Terada they "promise to establish the MFT lens line-up at the quality of the current PRO line-up". That's interesting since the 12-40 performance seems to be at or slightly above the 4/3 HG 12-60 level (albeit at constant aperture).

This is something I wish to check for myself, but it does appear that -- despite the software monkeying -- the 12-40 can hold its own against the 12-60 and it is a bit faster.

I will be very interested in how the 40-150 f/2.8 stacks up against the 50-200.  I am used to the extra reach with both the 12-60 and 50-200, but I may be willing to trade that for weight.

I think I'll wait and see how this unfolds. In the meantime I'll take Art_P's advice and look for an E-5. I want the fine focus that Olympus for some unknown reason took off my E-3

The inability to travel backward in time is a major obstacle to so much human endeavour.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow