Why Thom is wrong...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,017Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Thom is wrong...
In reply to PK24X36NOW, 10 months ago

PK24X36NOW wrote:

If you're willing to sacrifice the ability to isolate subjects from background, are willing to sacrifice (high ISO and overall) image quality, are willing to sacrifice tracking autofocus for moving subjects, are willing to sacrifice battery life, and are willing to suffer with akward ergonomics/poor controls because the camera bodies are too small to allow enough room for extensive on-camera controls (or because the controls are so small they can't be easily used), then mirrorless cameras may seem like a good "alternative," but when those limitations are taken into account, they provide no compelling reason to move away from dSLRs. Quite the reverse, in fact.

I'm willing to sacrifice subject isolation, not planning to shoot high ISO. The new Olympus M-1 is reported to handle moving objects. See me in six months for a report back. Bottom line, the M43, especially the Olympus M-1, offers compelling reasons to own one, especially in the weight issue. When I shoot events, it is with two cameras, 24-120 on one, 70-200 on second body. The fast glass stays at home because of weight issues. Image quality is quite good on the M43 at moderate ISO. I'm coming from four FF Nikon DSLRs, two which happen to be D800 & D800E. If the Olympus M-1 can handle tracking on moving objects, my D3S, and possible D800 will be up for sale. I'll hold on to the D800E and D700 for subject isolation and low light capabilities, while doing my outdoor events with the M-1.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow