Buying OMD-E M1 as first non P&S. Have no lenses - what to buy first?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wootphoto
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Buying OMD-E M1 as first non P&S. Have no lenses - what to buy first?
11 months ago

I've loved photography for a long time. But, I've stuck with point and shoots. Now - I have a baby on the way, and I want to take some great photos. I'm a fan of wide-angle, and low light photography - and I plan on experimenting with that in the future. But, more important right now would be everyday shots (people, animals, etc).

I've been doing a lot of research, and I'm pretty sure the OMD E M1 is the camera for me. However, I don't have any micro 4/3 lenses.

I didn't realize that the 12-40mm isn't due out till December! So sad! I definitely plan on getting that when it comes out - however, what lens should I get to hold me over until then?

This is already going to cost a pretty penny - so I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. Maybe something around $200-$400?

Wondering if I should get a pancake lens, like the Zuiko 17mm f2.8? Or maybe a long zoom like Zuiko 40-150mm f4.0-5.6?

Any suggestions?

wootphoto's gear list:wootphoto's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow