Warning: A3000 emits a fake shutter sound that can't be disabled

Started Sep 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
DavieK
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
Re: Sony, idea for FW update!
In reply to Helen, Sep 26, 2013

I read this thread with interest as I'm writing a review and had not noticed any of this. So, I pick up the camera to learn what I have missed. Answer: absolutely nothing. There is no fake shutter sound at all. The only sound at the start of an exposure is the aperture actuation (a very faint click) followed by complete silence for the exposure period, then a single firm click as the mechanical curtain ends the exposure; after this, there is a pause which for long exposures is extended for dark signal processing, during which the finder is blacked off; finally, a rather louder recocking action charges the shutter blind while uncovering the sensor and restoring live view. For normally shutter speeds, the two clicks necessarily involved occur in successon immediately after the image is captured.

The sound of the camera is basically the same as the electronic first curtain mode of the A77.

My A3000 also takes the images instantaneously, just as soon as the first faint click (aperture operation) is heard; everything which interrupts the view and makes noise happens after the image itself has been captured. It appears to restore its very crude live view (I don't like the EVF at all) faster than the NEX-7 or the A77.

The only setting I have disabled on the camera is that I have BEEP set to OFF, which I always do from the outset with every camera I use. But turning BEEP on doesn't alter the absence of any fake shutter sound because there isn't one.

David

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow