Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?
Disappearing pro wedding photographers in the US
7 months ago

I can't help but notice the regular posts about:

-how photographers cannot make a living

-how professional photography is replaced by moms with cameras

-how only the lowest bidder can get the wedding pictures

-how digital photography has killed pro photographers, etc...

I am not a pro, I don't do portraits or weddings and I don't live in the US. That means I am not competent to discuss the present situation in the US. But perhaps I can give you a glimpse of what happens outside of the US:

-in France, wedding and, especially, portrait photographers were in a similar crisis about 20 years ago. I believe their numbers are greatly reduced today from what they used to be.

-during a trip in a town in north Malaysia, I noticed a plush wedding photographer studio about every half kilometer in the main street. Apparently, wedding photographers are all the rage over there.

-one cannot visit a beach in China without having to make way for a newly wed couple being photographed by a whole team with photographers and assistants. Apparently, wedding photographers are doing well in China.

Obviously, the present problems of wedding and portrait photographers in the US have little to do with the generalization of digital photography, facebook or whatever global force is at play today or we would see the same decline everywhere at the same time. Now, I can't offer a solution to your problems and I can't give an opinion on the situation in the US (I could only give one about the French market), but I know that your analysis cannot be correct. So you will need to think it over.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow