Lens quality control

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,645Gear list
Like?
Learning lens design
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 7 months ago

OpticsEngineer wrote:

But you would be surprised how many people graduate with an engineering degree of some kind and don't want to learn an industry standard software

You know, I couldn't even find somebody on faculty here at the University of Kentucky who does lens design. Physics has people who look at an entirely different type of lens, and my department has an EM group that does lots of antenna design and analysis, but no optics per se. The closest is one of my fellow ECE faculty who is working on nanofabrication technologies.

How did you learn about optical design?  I definitely am not competent in optical design... I barely know enough to be dangerous.     Years ago, I helped improve a supercomputer-based program for design of diffractive optics, but I still haven't learned enough about lenses to support my research in computational photography.  Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow