Was thinking of buying Nikon, but not so fast......

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rkachurak
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Was thinking of buying Nikon, but not so fast......
10 months ago

I have been shooting with Olympus since 2007.  I originally started out with E-500 with kit lens.  About 2 years later bought a used 14-54 then  in 2010 bought a used E-30 and have been using that ever since.  I have also purchased a used 50-200swd in 2012, a 70-300in 2012 and a brand new 50mm2.0. last year.

The majority of my shooting is with the 14-54 and 50-200 which I feel covers my needs very well.  For the past year or so I had the itch of buying a new camera with the new bells and whistles and was considering changing to Nikon.  This past weekend a friend brought her D5200 with two kit lens to my sons soccer game for me to try and also giver her lessons.  While it did a fantastic job taking pictures even with the kit lens, I must say I was rather disappointed with trying to access some of the controls and features of the camera.  I didn't like the fact that I couldn't figure out how to toggle the data on the back screen using the four directional arrows to get to the camera setting faster like Olympus allows you to do.  Also I think the camera had only one dial on it where as I am used to having 2 like the E-30 has.  And Finally it just felt awkward to hold the Nikon (felt like a toy) as compared to my E-30.  Now granted shooting maybe 100 or so pictures with a camera over a 45 minute span shouldn't be compared to using my E-30 for 4 years and shooting 10,000 to 15,000 pictures with it.

I know that the D7100 would probably feel closer to the E-30 then the D5200 in terms of size and weight.  The feel of a smaller camera didn't sit well which is a reason I am hesitant on the OMD line from Olympus.  I was really hoping for one more DSLR from Olympus.

Any thoughts.....

rkachurak's gear list:rkachurak's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow