Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,475
Like?
Just had a play GX7 and G6
Sep 26, 2013

Bearing in mind my current camera is a G5

First impressions of GX7,

The main control dial with shooting modes is very fiddly and has far too many options for my not so delicate hands. The on/off switch doesn’t help.

Disappointed by the EVF , I was expecting something fantastic from reading other reports but felt small to me. Maybe clear but not a big enough improvement to sell it to me.

Position of the EVF, I think I would get used to

Lots of buttons, good but so many it’s all very congested, I think I would struggle

The silly moveable strap lugs on the side are surprisingly annoying

Very solid feel to the camera

When I first tried the E-M5 I knew straight away it wasn’t for me and this was similar. I went back several times to check out the EM-5 but I think I already know that it’s not for me.

Big selling point to me is the IBIS which I didn’t try but I’d love the ability to use non IS lenses.

Also first time I’ve handled a G6, loved it straight away. I do like cameras that feel like cameras and this just fits me. My biggest complaint about the G5 is the ease with which I accidentally switch things on that I don’t want especially AWB. It looks like the joystick dial may not be so sensitive and a bit further in on the body which would be a big bonus to me.

The GX7 may be better overall but I’m a firm believer that I will. take my best shots with my most comfortable camera and I think the G6 is much more me.

I did notice that the 14-42 lens was different on each camera. The one on the G6 looked like my G5 one but on the GX7 it was a smaller shining version which is presumably the new model. IsS this right that lit kit lenses are different between the models.

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow