Why Thom is wrong...

Started Sep 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Malcolm
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Thom is wrong...
In reply to Richard, Sep 26, 2013

Just read this whole thread and discovered that while there's a lot of talk about pro cameras and pro systems there's been negligible discussion of mirror and shutter vibration effects on the image. Of course you can always lock the mirror up or introduce a second or two pause after mirror raise, but that's annoying or impractical for some kinds of photography. And haven't any of the expert pro photographers writing here noticed how very much worse a problem mirror vibration is for full frame compared to smaller sensor DSLRs? For me that's a significant advantage that crop sensor DSLRs have over full frame.

Once you've got rid of the mirror & mirror vibration there's the mechanical shutter vibration of the focal plane shutter. One of the first things I did when I got my hands on a camera which could switch between mechanical and electronic first curtain shutter was to do careful comparative tests. I was surprised and delighted by the extent of the difference. When going after high resolution with long lenses on a tripod it dramatically increases the range of usable shutter speeds. Which means that for some long lens work you no longer need to heave around a massive wide aperture long lens. You might even not have to buy one of those shockingly expensive monster lenses

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow