Why most everyone choose Nikon for their first dslr?

Started Sep 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
domina
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: Why most everyone choose Nikon for their first dslr?
In reply to harrygilbert, Sep 26, 2013

harrygilbert wrote:

The factors you cite above are EXACTLY why I chose Canon. At just about every sports event, I see a sea of white lenses. When they show politicos on TV, it seems that a majority of photo journalists have Canons. When I go to photograph wildlife, Canon predominates among the "serious" photographers. The majority of Nikons I see are mid-level "prosumer" cameras owned by amateurs. And three other factors drove me to choose Canon over Nikon:

1. Ergonomics in the Canon, especially the menu system, seemed more logical to me than Nikon's (what do I know; I'm only an industrial engineer trained in ergonomics).

2. Canon's support far exceeded that provided by Nikon, when I helped a friend solve a technical problem with his Nikon, while Canon has a help line with a human (!) who answered all my questions when I called; to download camera manuals when doing pre-purchase research, Nikon required a serial number, while Canon offered no hindrance. When I bought a Nikon film scanner (Coolscan 5000), the Nikon software sucked, and Nikon was unable to resolve problems -- I had to purchase 3rd party software.

3. Canon provides free post-processing software with their cameras.

Just my 2 cents.

I chose Canon EOS 60D as my first DSLR after I asked a girl on YouTube what camera she used to make a video of her belly-dancing to metal music, as she had the best quality video among all other belly dancers and industrial/EBM dancers on YouTube. She told me she had used a Canon Rebel DSLR, so I immediately went to a shop and bought a Rebel (600D). It had a very small grip for my hands though, its ergonomics sucked, it was as if it was designed for people with very small hands. So, I returned it to the shop and got the bigger model, the 60D, which I still happily use. Afterwards, I got a Sony NEX-F3 with a fisheye for spy photography, a Canon SX50 superzoom (1200mm equivalent!) for the same reason, and a used Canon 5D MkI (the Classic) for full-frame lenses.

-- hide signature --

I'm against privacy rights and everyone who doesn't want to appear in my photos is my enemy! Nobody has the right to refuse to be photographed! Profile pic by me, not me. My Flickr has some Creative Commons pics for you to remix upon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow