EOS M, what's the point?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
padmasana
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: EOS M, what's the point?
In reply to Peter63, 11 months ago

I bought the EOS M when the bargains came around in the U.S. market. I didn't give much thought to where it would fit into my lineup (main logic was this: $300 for that cool little camera? sold!) and had been cruising along comfortably with DSLRs and point and shoots.

Over the last three months, it's replaced my Powershot S95 and SX260 in all occasions. They were used mostly for road and mountain biking (12-15 hours a week) and for casual stuff. Obvious improvements in lens choice and image quality have made its slightly bigger profile more than acceptable. It fits in a jersey pocket no matter what EF-M lens is on it.

When I know I'm going to need other qualities out of a camera, such as response, focus speed and accuracy (and face demanding circumstances, such as low light or fast action) I tend to stick with the a 5D3 and a 7D.

I love the EOS M and what it can do, but I also love the DSLRs and what they can do. The M is stealthy, light and capable. The DSLRs are big, offer the greatest control and are very, very capable.

The M hasn't resolved the dilemma of no matter which camera and lens I choose, I'm making tradeoffs. It does, however, significantly narrow the margin that exists between the two platforms I am familiar with.

padmasana's gear list:padmasana's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow